Monday, July 25, 2011

30 Days

I recently watched a Ted talk by Matt Cutts on the power of trying something new for 30 days. The speaker talked about his decision to live life in 30-day blocks of time, and try something new each 30 days. In one month, he jogged. Another month, he took up mountain climbing. In another, he wrote a book. You can view the talk here.

His point was that the next 30 days will come and go whether you like it or not. Will you use it to get better? Or will you let it slip away?

I love that message, because it has a certain playfulness about it. This guy attempted things he never would have otherwise done. He got healthier. He had fun. He found new hobbies. He did amazing things, based on this philosophy.

I think we should treat life like a big playground, a big experiment. I am too driven by my task list, my schedule, etc. I stay within my comfort zone too often. Instead of trying new things, I stick with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Instead, I want to live life, try things, go places. This 30-day idea might be something to bring into my world, and try it out. I could use it for fitness, creativity, spiritual growth, fun, hobby...the possibilites are endless.

Hmmm....

No comments: