Friday, October 12, 2012

How I Write Music


I follow a careful plan for songwriting. I simply proceed through the following steps:

1. Get out guitar and legal pad.

2. Tune guitar.

3. Begin strumming a chord or two.

4. Realize it sounds like an awesome Hillsong song.

5. Play and sing awesome Hillsong song.

6. Play a different Hillsong song.

7. Recognize in heart that Hillsong has sold their souls to Satan to explain how awesome they are at everything.

8. Snack.

9. Look through old lyrics written and discarded.

10. Recognize in heart that they are crap.

11. Play a different Hillsong song.

12. Recognize in heart that inspiration is lacking.

13. Read a book.

14. Snack.

15. Return to guitar and play a final Hillsong song.

16. Resolve to try again tomorrow.

Okay, it's not always like that. Some days I use Coldplay, or Dave Matthews, or whomever. 

For those of you who are wondering [or even if you aren't wondering] I'll post more about my songwriting process in an upcoming blog.

No comments: